Common operational misconceptions

Brandt, Ralph ralph.brandt at pateam.com
Fri Feb 17 15:01:34 UTC 2012

Hammer, you are at least 75% right.  You will get flamed and in most
cases, the 35 year age is close to right.

But then in Programming where I spent most of my IT time since Feb 1963,
few current programmers have skills that they need to be really
successful.  Same thing.

It is the fault of the educational system like one school district here
that teaches Alice, VB and then two days of C++ to High School Kids.
Heck, they will fiddle with Alice on their own.  They need some exposure
to one of the SQL's and how to build some tables, maybe a good script
language, some command line on SQL+ and unix or PostgresSQL and linux if
the school can't afford the unix licenses.

The fun and games is more important than the substance and it goes into
the colleges in spades.

BTW, I am a school board member who votes 1:8 often on things.... But
let me give you a perspective, one of the board members called Golf an
"Essential Life Skill."  Maybe, but how about balancing a checkbook...

Ralph Brandt
Communications Engineer
HP Enterprise Services
Telephone +1 717.506.0802