Common operational misconceptions

Masataka Ohta mohta at necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp
Fri Feb 17 07:03:32 UTC 2012

Owen DeLong wrote:

> I believe he understands just fine. However, his point (and I agree with him) is that
> if you are behind NAT, it isn't full end-to-end functionality, even if it does allow some
> degraded form of end-to-end connectivity with significant limitations which are not
> present in the absence of NAT.

I'm not interested in your own definitions on end-to-end
something.

For correct terminologies, you should read Saltzer's
original paper.

As for "in the absence of NAT", RFC3102 may also be helpful
to you.

   Abstract

      This document examines the general framework of Realm Specific IP
      (RSIP).  RSIP is intended as a alternative to NAT in which the end-
      to-end integrity of packets is maintained.

							Masataka Ohta