time sink 42

Sven Olaf Kamphuis sven at cb3rob.net
Thu Feb 16 22:08:52 UTC 2012

we just use paper labels and markers, much faster & easier.

it's not just the "peeling the back of it", its also the "entering the
stuff on the tiny keyboard"

and unlike labelprinter stickers, they hold in higher
temperatures with low humidity and lots of airflow
after a few years ;)

we've found that with most labelwriters, the only thing keeping the labels
on the hardware after several years in a datacenter environment is the
vacume between the label and the metal, the glue kinda "disappears" in air
like that :P

as for servers: well.. the ones with a led display are nice... (hint
ibm/cisco... crappy dells have them, why don't yours ;)

(would be nice to also see led displays on cisco switches in the future,
but keep in mind: NOT displaying hostnames/ip addresses!!! has to be a
seperate config entry!)

(especially since they can be automatically updated during pxe reinstalls
with the new service-id number ;)

anyway, ditch the labelwriters alltogether, just get sheets with paper
stickers and write the stuff on them with markers, faster, more efficient,
lasts longer.

the labelwriter crap just "falls off" after a while, then gets blown away,
potentially ending up in a ventilator etc.

--
Greetings,

Sven Olaf Kamphuis,
CB3ROB Ltd. & Co. KG
Address: Koloniestrasse 34         VAT Tax ID:      DE267268209
          D-13359                   Registration:    HRA 42834 B
          BERLIN                    Phone:           +31/(0)87-8747479
          Germany                   GSM:             +49/(0)152-26410799
RIPE:    CBSK1-RIPE                e-Mail:          sven at cb3rob.net
<penpen> C3P0, der elektrische Westerwelle
http://www.facebook.com/cb3rob

Confidential: Please be advised that the information contained in this
email message, including all attached documents or files, is privileged
and confidential and is intended only for the use of the individual or
individuals addressed. Any other use, dissemination, distribution or