time sink 42

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu Feb 16 21:53:20 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Randy Bush" <randy at psg.com>

> ok, this is horribly pragmatic, but it's real. yesterday i was in the
> westin playing rack and stack for five hours. an horrifyingly large
> amount of my time was spent trying to peel apart labels made on my
> portable brother label tape maker, yes peeling the backing from a little
> label so remote hands could easily confirm a server they were going to attack.
>
> is there a trick? is there a (not expensive) different labeling
> machine or technique i should use?

1) You should make sure you're buying the newer crack-n-peel labels, on
which the backing is scored along the center.

2) If you have the older stuff, bend a corner sharply from the plastic
side (front) towards the paper side (backing).  The plastic label has more
spring in it, and will spring back away from the paper -- which will stay
bent -- and you'll have some separation that you can peel from.

Cheers,
-- jra