Common operational misconceptions

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Thu Feb 16 14:50:22 UTC 2012

In message <4F3D0C45.9020100 at unfix.org>, Jeroen Massar writes:
> On 2012-02-16 14:51 , Mark Andrews wrote:
> [..]
> > that can occur.  As IPv4 and IPv6 are often configured independently
> > we provide a way to test each independently.
>
> Could you make that label also for both IPv4/IPv6, that way, one could
> figure out if the query ends up being answered over IPv4 or IPv6...
> though then maybe the content would need to have a IPv4/IPv6 label in
> it. Maybe it is even more useful to show the source of the querier?
>
> Greets,
>  Jeroen

I don't really see much benefit in that other than satisfying
curiosity.

Also this is a stock stand server + firewall to block TCP.  It would
require a custom server to sent back the source address and that
requires getting ops to run it.  That's not to say that it can't
be done but it becomes more than a simple request.

Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org