Common operational misconceptions

Tim Franklin tim at pelican.org
Thu Feb 16 09:58:53 UTC 2012

> When I took an A level computing course in the 90s the course material
> still talked about primary stor and backing stor, batch jobs and the
> like...

I was working with a lot of batch jobs in my first development role in 1993, and still supporting overnight scheduling to make best use of the Cray by 1999.  I still leave the occasional big data set crunching overnight now.  I'll grant you it's not exactly mainstream computing, but it's not exactly up there with drum memory either...

The concept that a computer can do things when a person isn't there, or without the need for clicking things, is probably not a bad one to impart.

Regards,
Tim.