SSL Certificates

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 00:49:53 UTC 2012

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 4:17 PM, John Levine <johnl at iecc.com> wrote:
>>Almost everyone are basically just selling an "activation" with one of the SSL certificate authorities.
>>
>>I usually buy a "RapidSSL" (Verisign) certificate from https://www.sslmatrix.com/ -- they seem to have some of the best
>>prices and the rapidssl enrollment process is very efficient (at least for the cheap automatically "validated"
>>products).
>
> I get my RapidSSL and Comodo from these guys.  Prices look about the same:
>
> http://www.cheapssls.com/
>
> If you order a cert for example.com, Comodo's also work for www.example.com, no
> extra charge.

The problem with anything related to Verisign at the moment is that
they either don't know or haven't come clean yet how far the hackers
got into their infrastructure over the last few years.  The early
February 2012 announcements were woefully devoid of actual content.

The possibility of their root certs being compromised is nonzero.

There may be no problem; they also may be completely worthless.  Until
there's full disclosure...

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com