Common operational misconceptions

Jeff Wheeler jsw at inconcepts.biz
Thu Feb 16 00:10:04 UTC 2012

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 3:47 PM, John Kristoff <jtk at cymru.com> wrote:
> I have a handful of common misconceptions that I'd put on a top 10 list,

By your classful addressing example, it sounds like these students are
what most nanog posters would consider to be entry-level.

RFC1918 is misused a lot by entry-level folks, most seem not to know
about 172.16.0.0/12

I think students should be able to learn how "traceroute" actually
works, which I have found, is a lot easier to teach as a conceptual
lesson than by just telling them "maybe the problem is in the return
path" without giving them any understanding of how or why.

MTU, Path MTU Detection, and MSS

NxGE isn't a serial 4Gbps link, and why this is so important

On the other hand, more than half of the CCIEs I have worked with are
clueless about all of the above.  :-/
--
Jeff S Wheeler <jsw at inconcepts.biz>
Sr Network Operator  /  Innovative Network Concepts