PGP, S/MIME + SSL cross-reference (Was: Dear RIPE: Please don't encourage phishing)

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Fri Feb 10 20:08:26 UTC 2012

In a message written on Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 11:11:18AM -0800, Ryan Malayter wrote:
> Windows has had its own centralized certificate store and APIs since
> NT 4.0's release in 1996.

You are correct that I maligned Windows in a way I shouldn't have
done.  Indeed, I've been very impressed with the software they make
to manage certificates in the enterprise before, making it quite
easy to roll out per user certificates for VPN's or E-Mail and dump
it in the certificate store.

I think my view was incorrectly colored by the fact that the API
is not used by many programs (open source in particular) where as
OSX has had some traction with the Keychain.

It would be nice to get something approximating a cross platform API,
even if all that means is the ability to do the same operations on all
major platforms.