Dear RIPE: Please don't encourage phishing

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Fri Feb 10 17:37:01 UTC 2012

In a message written on Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 09:29:30AM -0800, Randy Bush wrote:
> more and more these days, i have taken to not clicking the update messages,
> but going to the web site manyually to get it.
>
> waaaay to much phishing, and it is getting subtle and good.

We know how to sign and encrypt web sites.

We know how to sign and encrypt e-mail.

We even know how to compare keys between the web site and e-mail via a
variety of mechanisms.

We know how to sign DNS.

Remind me again why we live in this sad word Randy (correcly) described?

There's no reason my mail client shouldn't validate the signed e-mail
came from the same entity as the signed web site I'd previously logged
into, and give me a green light that the link actually points to said
same web site with the same key.  It should be transparent, and secure
for the user.