UDP port 80 DDoS attack

Keegan Holley keegan.holley at sungard.com
Wed Feb 8 15:18:29 UTC 2012

On Feb 8, 2012, at 4:51 AM, George Bonser <gbonser at seven.com> wrote:

>> From: Keegan Holley
>> Subject: Re: UDP port 80 DDoS attack
>
>> It works in theory, but to get every ISP and hosting provider to ACL their edges and maintain those ACL's for every customer no matter how large might be a bit difficult.
>
> You don't have to ACL in most cases. RPF works for most.  There will be a few, relatively darned few, that you will need to ACL, but RPF takes care of a large number of them.

RPF on the whole Internet would pretty much lead to an instant outage.  What happens when you have two upstreams and one has an incoming route to you but your out going route for which ever of their customers talking to you doesn't agree?  Instant outage.  Multiply that by the entire table and then add churn.  I'd give it a week before everyone turned it off,  if you could even get them to enable it to begin with.