UDP port 80 DDoS attack

dennis dennis at justipit.com
Mon Feb 6 12:22:38 UTC 2012

The point is well taken that cloud scrubbing can be an essential component
of mitigating a volumetric flood.  However, it is important to note that
DDOS attacks do not only consist of volumetric floods.  Current attacks
often incorporate a multi-vectored attack campaign including a combination
of low and slow and application layer attacks on upper layer protocols, ie.
DNS & HTTP(s).  These campaigns are designed to fly under the triggers of
other flow based analysis (cloud scrubbing) protections in place today.   As
with any security protection a layered approach is required in order to
protect the  perimeter from DDOS.  In addition to the previous
recommendations of ACL, uRPF, RTBH, CoPP, inspection of the full stack is
required.    The best protection today includes a detector capable of
inspecting the full stack and signaling back to the cloud scrubbing station
to swing the route if the attack becomes volumetric.   The premise device
should have technique in order to challenge the source and counter the
attack with intelligence.    I'm aware of two vendors offering some of these
capabilities today, Radware and Arbor.