Hijacked Network Ranges

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Mon Feb 6 04:19:43 UTC 2012

On Wednesday, February 01, 2012 02:57:46 AM Tony McCrory
wrote:

> Surely something is better than nothing.  Advertise the
> /24's and the /25's, see what happens.

The fact that the hijacking ISP's upstreams accepted routes
through their network that didn't belong to that ISP is bad
enough.

That we should still be able to advertise anything without
an appropriate filter being in place and expecting it to
work (even if it's with good intention, as in this case) is
equally as bad.

A big fail to our community, for up to this day, not
implementing basic routing and forwarding filters that would
do away with all this cruft in the first place.

Clearly the Youtube/Pakistan/PCCW incident has long been
forgotten.

But that's life, I guess...

Mark.