This network is too good...

Matthew Petach mpetach at netflight.com
Fri Feb 3 22:01:54 UTC 2012

On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 5:51 PM, Robert E. Seastrom <rs at seastrom.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Any thoughts on products that screw up networks in deterministic (and
> realistic found-in-the-wild) ways?  I'm thinking of stuff like
> PacketStorm, Dummynet, etc.  Dial up jitter, latency, tail drop, RED,
> whatever...
>
> (I know someone's gonna say "Just buy a Brand Z FubarSwitch 3k, they
> will screw up your whole network and you don't even have to configure
> it to do so!")
>
> I'm all-ears like Ross Perot.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -r

Definite +1 for dummynet on freebsd; I've used in the lab at layer 2 in
bridge mode, and layer 3 both, for doing testing.  latency introduction
is good down to a few ms, but isn't accurate below that--but for most
of what we do, in terms of simulating latency and loss/jitter, it works
like a charm.

Matt