[#135346] Unauthorized BGP Announcements (follow up to Hijacked Networks)

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 00:00:13 UTC 2012

On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 3:22 PM, George Bonser <gbonser at seven.com> wrote:

> The fundamental problem is there is no absolute "source of truth" in who
> is entitled to use which resource.

Well, the "absolute truth" would be the whois service maintained by the
RIRs, regarding who is the contact for what resource.

Now if we could only agree on one IRR for every region,   require
authorization by the RIR listed  contact   to  gain  the ability to create
IRR  entries for that resource,    and make publication of a route into the
IRR  an actual requirement,  we would have just that.

However,  it would be just as subject to  government interference,  in the
form of orders to the IRR database maintainer to delete certain networks.

--
-Mysid