[#135346] Unauthorized BGP Announcements (follow up to Hijacked Networks)

George Bonser gbonser at seven.com
Thu Feb 2 21:22:04 UTC 2012

> So, new law? I don't think its necessary.
>
> YMMV,
> Eric

The problems are manifold.  First of all, a nation's laws only extend to the borders of that nation.  The UN is not a government, it is a diplomatic body so it really can't enact anything either.  The Internet community is global and if we agree to a certain standard of behavior and consequences for violating that standard, we can police it ourselves just fine.  The fundamental problem is there is no absolute "source of truth" in who is entitled to use which resource.  So there is little people can really do with any certainty until such a place exists.  What we need is a registry that we all agree is valid and agree to go by what it says and if you announce a route that belongs to someone else without their permission and you are made aware of that fact and continue to announce the route, you are subject to having your traffic shunned until you are in compliance.  That resource (the registry) should absolutely not be maintained by the UN or any government entity as that will make it unusable.  It is something the community has the technology to do, it just requires the resources and the will to do it.