[#135346] Unauthorized BGP Announcements (follow up to Hijacked Networks)

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Wed Feb 1 20:25:43 UTC 2012

Once upon a time, Nathan Eisenberg <nathan at atlasnetworks.us> said:
> > AFAIK there's no law covering the use of what party X considers their
> > 32 bit numbers (assigned by party A) by party Y.
>
> So, to pose the obvious question: Should there be?
>
> (I honestly don't know the answer is to this question, and am asking in earnest for opinions on the subject)

Personally, I'd rather see the networking community work it out
internally, rather than invite government intervention (I hardly think
it would stop at regulating 32/128 bit numbers).

Besides, how would that work?  Say ARIN assigns US company X (operating
only in the US) a block, but German company Y (with no US operations)
starts announcing the same block.  How are US or German laws going to
help, when the parties have no common jurisdiction?

There need to be better ways to notify (and get action from) upstreams,
upstreams/peers of upstreams, etc.  Since not all peering is public
knowledge, it can be difficult to know who needs notification, so some
type of clearinghouse would be good.  Maybe a mailing list, made up of
network operators, in some type of group, ... :-)

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>