Advisory — D-root is changing its IPv4 address on the 3rd of January.

Ariel Biener ariel at post.tau.ac.il
Sun Dec 16 13:02:04 UTC 2012

Nick Hilliard wrote:
> On 16/12/2012 02:26, David Conrad wrote:
>> The UMD folks are making a change to _their_ infrastructure.
A site who hosts a Global Internet critical infrastructure is not bound to
the same procedures as a regular site. It takes a certain amount of trust
to have one of the Internet's core devices hosted at your site.

While it is sometimes required to perform changes, it is no wonder that
the community is involved and worried, since the D root server is a global
infrastructure device, regardless of where it is located, and it is expected
from UMD to behave accordingly (not that they are not, but just in the grand
scheme of things).

I am pretty sure that UMD doesn't think that the D root is akin their
web server,
as you would suggest in your mail (their infrastructure, their server,
their procedure,
not owe anything to anyone, etc etc...)

It is critical to all of us, and we can and should lend our advice or
even request
(and sometimes require) a level of assurance that we (that is the
operators on theInternet
which is being served by D, since D is no local UMD service) will not
end up hurt.

It is their decision to make ultimately, but they can and should hear
us, and if there
is actually a grain of wisdom in what is being said, to consider it and
amend plans.

While there is no "specific and contractual" SLA in place, that does not
mean that
a root server operator is free to do whatever they please with critical
global infrastructure,
and I am very sure that this attitude is not prevalent with any Root
operator out there.

best,

-- Ariel
  --