Why do some providers require IPv6 /64 PA space to have public whois?

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Sun Dec 9 08:11:27 UTC 2012

On Sat, 8 Dec 2012, Constantine A. Murenin wrote:

> It's being implied everywhere that native IPv6 is somehow important to
> seek, since we're running out of IPv4 addresses.

Ok, so I'll give you that tunneling a really short bit, tunneling isn't
too bad, but native is most of the time better.

5+ years back we used to run 6bone for out IPv6 connectivity. It was
hugely broken. As soon as we started running native ipv6 in the core and
started peering natively, quality improved hugely.

So yes, 6RD or alike where tunneling is done locally within the ISP or
very close to it, is a valid deployment scenario, but middle/long term,
native is better.

And IPv6 is not a short term fix for IPv4 address runout, it's a long term
solution for it. As humankind, we just failed to get it deployed in time
for the long term solution to be widely available before we ran out of
IPv4 addresses.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se