TCP time_wait and port exhaustion for servers

Ray Soucy rps at maine.edu
Sat Dec 8 01:08:11 UTC 2012

+1

Thanks for the tip, this looks very useful.

Looks like it was only introduced in 2.6.35, we're still on 2.6.32 ...
might be worth the upgrade, it just takes so long to test new kernel
versions in this application.

We ended up dropping TCP_TIMEWAIT_LEN to 30 seconds as a band-aid for
now, along with the expanded port range.
In talking to others 20 seconds seems to be 99%+ safe, with the sweet
spot seeming to be 24 seconds or so.  So we opted to just go with 30
seconds and be cautious, even though others claim going as low as 10
or 5 seconds without issue.  I'll let people know if it introduces any
problems.

In talking with the author of HAproxy, he seems to be in the camp that
using SO_LINGER of 0 might be the way to go, but is unsure of how
servers would respond to it; we'll likely try a build with that method
and see what happens at some point.

--
Ray Patrick Soucy
Network Engineer

T: 207-561-3526
F: 207-561-3531

MaineREN, Maine's Research and Education Network
www.maineren.net