Fair Use Policy

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Thu Aug 23 05:21:46 UTC 2012

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012, Sean Harlow wrote:

> As far as I can tell, the actual cost of the bits being transferred is
> so minuscule as to be practically irrelevant for anyone who's not at the
> scale to be dealing directly with Tier 1 carriers.  Capacity costs
> money, but once it's there utilization is nothing.

The problem the OP is probably dealing with is an incumbant who they are
buying capacity from at hugely inflated prices, so all of a sudden the
cost of capacity is a significant part of total operating cost.

There are still markets in the world where a megabit/s of capacity can
cost hundreds of dollars per month (even when buying tens of them). This
is usually due to politics and/or law and thus regulatory problems, but
it's still a situation some have to operate in.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se