Fair Use Policy

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Aug 23 01:25:05 UTC 2012

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 8:41 PM, Jimmy Hess <mysidia at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/22/12, Bacon Zombie <baconzombie at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I how you are talking about 3G or there is a typo.
>> An ISP with a 5GB cap that is charging the end user more then 5$ total
>> {including line rental} a month should not be allow to operate.
>
> I don't believe $5 even covers an ISP's typical cost of having a line,
> let alone getting data through it, maintaining, supporting it, and
> providing upstream networking.

If you're talking mobile (3G) then you don't have a physical line. You
have a device which might or might not be making any use of a shared
media (wireless spectrum).

A 56kbps modem can theoretically deliver 18GB of data in a month. My
$125/mo business fios can cough up 8 TB in that time. 5GB on a modern
shared wireless media is... not much.

> Why should the end users who transfer less than 1GB a month, with only
> basic web surfing, have to suffer periods of less-than-excellent
> network performance  or pay increasing costs to subsidize the purchase
> of additional capacity for users at the same service level expecting
> to use 100GB a month?

They shouldn't. The folks who want to use 100 GB a month should be
paying more than $5. ;)

> Even if   the metric is wrong --  the idea of metering bytes
> transferred is broken,
> because it does not positively reinforce the good behavior.

Works for the electric company, the gas company, the water company,
etc. Metering I mean, not a use cap. The notion of a cap is pretty
broken.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004