Return two locations or low TTL [was: DNS caches that support partitioning ?]

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Mon Aug 20 14:11:52 UTC 2012

Patrick W. Gilmore <patrick at ianai.net> wrote:
> On Aug 20, 2012, at 08:47 , Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net> wrote:
> >
> > Most anything that supports IPv6 should handle this correctly, since
> > getaddrinfo() will return a list of addresses to try.
>
> Ah, the amazing new call which destroys any possibility of randomness or
> round robin or other ways of load balancing between A / AAAA records.
> Yes, all of us returning more than one A / AAAA record are hoping that
> gets widely deployed instantly.  Or not.

The problem is RFC 3484 address selection; getaddrinfo is just the usual
place this is implemented. I had believed that there was work in progress
to fix this problem with the specs but it seems to have stalled.
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-6man-rfc3484-revise-05

Tony.
Forties, Cromarty: East, veering southeast, 4 or 5, occasionally 6 at first.
Rough, becoming slight or moderate. Showers, rain at first. Moderate or good,
occasionally poor at first.