Return two locations or low TTL [was: DNS caches that support partitioning ?]

Dobbins, Roland rdobbins at arbor.net
Mon Aug 20 14:07:34 UTC 2012

On Aug 20, 2012, at 5:56 PM, Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:

> My question above is asking Mark how you guarantee the user/application selects the A record closest to them and only use the other A record when the closer one is unavailable.

I understand - my point was that folks using a GSLB-type solution would generally include availability probing in the GSLB stack, so that a given instance won't be included in answers if it's locally unavailable (obviously, the GSLB can't know about all path elements between the querying resolver and the desired server/service).

	  Luck is the residue of opportunity and design.

		       -- John Milton