DNS caches that support partitioning ?

valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
Fri Aug 17 20:32:45 UTC 2012

On Fri, 17 Aug 2012 15:32:11 -0400, Andrew Sullivan said:
> On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 04:13:09PM -0000, John Levine wrote:
> > The application I have in mind is to see if it helps to keep DNSBL
> > traffic, which caches poorly, from pushing other stuff out of the
> > cache, but there are doubtless others.
>
> If it's getting evicted from cache because other things are getting
> used more often, why do you want to put your thumb on that scale? The
> other queries are presumably benefitting just as much from the caching.

I think John's issue is that he's seeing those other queries *not* benefiting
from the caching because they get pushed out by DNSBL queries that will likely
not ever be used again.  You don't want your cached entry for www.google.com
to get pushed out by a lookup for a dialup line somewhere in Africa.