Testing 1gbps bandwidth

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Tue Aug 14 15:08:35 UTC 2012

On 14/08/2012 15:43, valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
> case trying to use one of the speedtest.net servers - we had a clear 10G path
> out through like 3 AS's in a row, the bottleneck was speedtest.net's server. :)

you'll have to forgive me for being the cynical type, but I gave up on
Speedtest the day they reported 146Mbit/sec download over a link which was
hard-wired to 100Mbit/sec full duplex, and later that day they reported
2Mbit from another nearby server to the same box.  I figured a stddev of 2
orders of magnitude wasn't going to give me figures accurate enough for my
requirements.

But hey, this is the Internet: ymmv, ianal, lolwut, bbq.

Nick