next hop packet loss

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Aug 9 00:44:21 UTC 2012

On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 7:39 PM, Jim Ray <jim at neuse.net> wrote:
> telnet www.checkpoint.com 80
> GET / HTTP/1.1
> Host: www.checkpoint.com
>
> ...resolved some information and then lost connection according to this
> trailer from the screen scrape:
>
>       <!-- Column 2 -->
>         <!---  <h2><a
> href="https://supportcenter.checkpoint.com/supportcenter/p
> ortal?ev
>
> Connection to host lost.
>
>  Site resolves fine on Verizon network with my iPhone and not on Time
> Warner network. Maybe Check Point is mad because my network is behind a
> Sonic Wall and not their product.

Hi Jim,

Immediately lost or lost after a couple of minutes of no output?

If there's a long delay, see path mtu detection in my prior post. If not...

If immediate, try it from in front of the sonic wall instead of behind
it. If it works, your sonic wall is malfunctioning (maybe Sonic Wall
is mad that you're checking out a competitor ;) ). If you get the same
result (lose the connection 75% of the way through), dig out wireshark
and see what packets you send and receive right around the connection
lost. It would help to know whether you're getting a TCP FIN, a TCP
RST or a destination unreachable, and if the latter which one and from
what IP.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004