Bell Canada outage?

up at 3.am up at 3.am
Wed Aug 8 21:58:57 UTC 2012

> Hi,
>
> .-- My secret spy satellite informs me that at 12-08-08 11:35 AM  Darius
> Jahandarie wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 2:31 PM, Zachary McGibbon
>> <zachary.mcgibbon+nanog at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Anyone at Bell Canada / Sympatico can tell us what's going on?  Our routing
>>> table is going nuts with Bell advertising a lot of routes they shouldn't be
>>
>> Bell leaked a full table. To add to the fun, it seems that TATA took
>> the full table and releaked it.
>
> A quick analysis leads met to believe AS46618 ( Dery Telecom Inc) is the
> cause of this. AS46618 is dual homed to VIDEOTRON and Bell. What seems
> to have happened is that they leaked routes learned from VIDEOTRON to Bell.
>
> Based on BGP data I see that at 17:27 UTC  AS46618 ( Dery Telecom Inc)
> started to leak a 'full table', or at least a significant chunk of it to
> its provider Bell AS577.
> Bell propagated that to it's peers. Tata was one of the ones that
> accepted all of that.
>
> I can see that Bell propagated at least 74,109 prefixes learned from
> AS46618 to Tata. Tata selected 70,160 of those routes.

Interesting.  I have a server hosted on Bell Canada's network and I saw an outage
of about 30 minutes today, but it ONLY affected connections from Verizon's
network.  This includes my own FIOS connection.  I still could connect to the
server through Comcast, Level 3 and XO with no problems.

Traceroutes from my Verizon IP only got 2 hops, stopping at a philly router and
traceroutes back to the same IP from that server got as far as NYC.