raging bulls

valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
Wed Aug 8 16:53:23 UTC 2012

On Wed, 08 Aug 2012 09:08:27 -0500, Brett Frankenberger said:

> What it's about is allowing traders to arbitrage between markets.  When
> product A is traded in, say, London, and product B is traded in New
> York, and their prices are correlated, you can make money if your
> program running in NY can learn the price of product B in London a few
> milliseconds before the other guy's program.  And you can make money if
> your program running in London can learn the price of product A in NY a
> few milliseconds before the other guy's program.

If you can money off those milliseconds, then some government supervision is in
order - that market is too damned volatile.  I see a lot of people proposing
ways to make it work, when what modern civilization needs is some market
controls to make it *NOT* work.  Didn't we learn our lesson the *last* time the
financial system almost collapsed because financial wizards found a new way to
slice and dice stuff?