Trouble with IPv6 setup on Quagga

tom at ninjabadger.net tom at ninjabadger.net
Tue Aug 7 09:35:10 UTC 2012

Hi Anurag,

> node4# show bgp ipv6 neighbors  2607:1b00:10:a::1 advertised-routes
> BGP table version is 0, local router ID is 199.116.78.28
> Status codes: s suppressed, d damped, h history, * valid, > best, i -
> internal,
>               r RIB-failure, S Stale, R Removed
> Origin codes: i - IGP, e - EGP, ? - incomplete
>
>    Network          Next Hop            Metric LocPrf Weight Path
> *> 2607:1b00:d1::/48
>                     ::                       0    100  32768 i
> *> 2607:1b00:d2::/48
>                     ::                       0    100  32768 i
>
> Total number of prefixes 2

TH: That next-hop does look suspect. If they're on the same subnet, try
disabling next-hop-self. It will just use link-local addressing on the
foreign side, should the next hop be unreachable.

It could be that with next-hop-self configured and no IPv6 address on lo,
this isn't working correctly. Do you have a global address on lo?

> Here's what my Quagga bgpd.conf looks like:
>
>  hostname node4
>  timers bgp 4 16
>
> router bgp 54456
>  bgp router-id 199.116.78.28
>  redistribute connected metric 1
>  redistribute static metric 1

TH: One thing you should add for sanity:

 no bgp default ipv4-unicast

Otherwise Quagga will default to advertising IPv4 address family via IPv6
neighbors.

'bgp network import-check' is also useful to ensure Quagga behaves in the
same way as a Cisco/Juniper router when it comes to advertisements (this
goes for both address families).

>  neighbor 2607:1b00:10:a::1 remote-as 54456
>  neighbor 2607:1b00:10:a::1 next-hop-self
>
>  address-family ipv6
>  network 2607:1b00:d1::/48
>  network 2607:1b00:d2::/48
>  neighbor 2607:1b00:10:a::1 activate