IPv6 End User Fee

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sun Aug 5 16:30:39 UTC 2012

On Sun, Aug 05, 2012 at 04:00:18PM -0000, John Levine wrote:
> >Do you see problems with this scheme? There's considerable
> >interest and momentum in end user owned routing infrastructure,
> >including wireless ad hoc meshes across urban areas.
>
> I've seen remarkably little overlap between the people that think ad
> hoc meshes are a fabulous liberating technology and the people who
> understand how they work and what their limitatations are.

Absolutely accurate observation.

> As a way to bring some sort of service to unserved areas, they're
> interesting.  As a substitute for a real network, they're not.

By its nature, the wireless ad hoc are at best good for more or
less understandable audio calls in a tight codec or text message
(or email) delivery. Even so, in current systems the scaling is
limited by admin traffic chatter.

The interesting part is how well would the newer protocols work
if the wireless links were substituted by reliable >1 GBit/s
connections.