Verizon FiOS - is BGP an option?

Mike Jones mike at mikejones.in
Sat Aug 4 15:44:11 UTC 2012

On 4 August 2012 04:07, Frank Bulk <frnkblk at iname.com> wrote:
> As someone else posted, many FTTH installations are centralized as much as
> possible to avoid having non-passive equipment in the plant, allowing for
> the practicality of onsite generators.  That's what we do.  But for those
> who have powered nodes in the field (distributed/tiered BPON or GPON
> configurations and cable plants), it's not realistic to keep them all
> powered.  Despite what the DOT may be able to do.

If only they had some kind of copper cabling running from some kind of
central location (like perhaps the same place the fiber runs to, I
imagine the same buildings that the old POTS lines ran to) that went
all the way out to the huts full of powered equipment (that would
likely be next to the old POTS junction boxes) that as a result of
their new fiber installs would have a few pairs unused, then they
could possibly have hooked those up as backup power when grid power
becomes unavailable for a large area (poor power distribution
efficiency would probably stop you wanting to power it that way all
the time).

It's a shame that there isn't any such copper infrastructure owned by
those same companies already in place, but perhaps they could have
thrown an extra copper cable in to the middle of that fiber bundle at
the same time they were running it at negligible additional cost.

- Mike