cost of misconfigurations

Eric Wieling EWieling at nyigc.com
Thu Aug 2 11:08:15 UTC 2012

I do not think occasional outages cause significant loss of customers.  Customers get angry easily, but once an issue is fixed, they get happy quickly.  Customers have very short memories and the cost and hassle of changing services is often significant.  Outages are never good, but it is better to concentrate on fixing the issue than panic about customers canceling their service.

Many times the cause of an outage is totally out of your control.  For example, most of our outages are caused by Verizon's aging and neglected copper cable plant.   I often wish some company had the balls to file a class action lawsuit over Verizon's neglect of their copper plant, but NOBODY wants to piss off their ILEC, including us.