JUNOS forwards IPv6 link-local packets

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Mon Apr 30 18:36:34 UTC 2012

On Fri, 27 Apr 2012, Chris Adams wrote:

> I don't think that will work, because there's an automatic direct route
> for fe80::/64 to all interfaces with family inet6 configured.  The only
> way I see around it is to apply a firewall filter to all IPv6 interfaces
> that blocks anything with a source in fe80::/64 and destination _not_ in
> fe80::/64.

I've verified this between two M7is in my lab, running Junos 10.3.  I
tried to verify similar behavior between a 6509 running 12.2(33)SXJ2 and
my target M7i, but either the Cisco box doesn't appear to allow the
traffic, or the command parser in that version of IOS is smart enough
not to allow a ping sourced from a link-local address, but destined to a
non-link-local address.

jms