Squeezing IPs out of ARIN

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Fri Apr 27 01:30:56 UTC 2012

On 4/26/2012 7:09 PM, Jimmy Hess wrote:
> ome "show" commands will show DHCP server usage, but not conclusive
> proof of the utilization of the address space. Because the show
> commands are not independently verifiable -- for all the RIR knows,
> someone plugged in a big stack of $10 modems just to register with the
> DHCP server. -- -JH

I believe buying and connecting thousands of $10 modems to register with
a DHCP server actually constitutes valid use of IP addresses. You would
more likely need to create a script to spoof mac addresses in
registering with the DHCP server over time to be in violation. Works
about like a script that pulls names out of a phone book and assigns
them to IP addresses in a report. The difference between the two is that
it's easier to make the report than create a good dhcp script that will
also utilize bandwidth and multiple interfaces or fill dhcp snooping
tables and show up interfaces.

The reason I'm completely for skipping all the extra paperwork and going
straight to a meeting session is that it's easy to view the various
screens depending on the ISP layout to show that a group of addresses
are in use and much more difficult to cover all bases to defraud ARIN
(not impossible, but much more difficult than forging customer names).

Jack