Squeezing IPs out of ARIN

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Apr 26 18:59:14 UTC 2012

On 4/26/12, Joe Maimon <jmaimon at ttec.com> wrote:
> Owen DeLong wrote:
>> RWHOIS is a perfectly valid alternative to SWIP.

> I actually got RWHOIS working a while back. But then faced with the
> prospect of loading it up, I decided that ARIN templates were actually
> easier to use.

The rwhois software from about 10 years ago was very difficult to work
with and it periodically crashed to boot. I used it because I already
had my allocation data in a handy machine-readable form and could
write software which would wholesale convert that database into what
rwhois wanted to see. That way I didn't have to write something to
detect changes and "update" the SWIP templates. I could just push a
completely fresh database into rwhois.

Had I needed to import the data by hand, there's no way: I would have
used the SWIP templates.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004