Squeezing IPs out of ARIN

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Wed Apr 25 22:31:10 UTC 2012

This is the first time I've seen ARIN request actual individual names.
I've had them requests SWIP and I've had them request exact user counts,
and I generally get much larger allocations than what was being
allocated. In addition, all their numbers matched up with all of my
numbers and the allocated space matched what I had assigned them minus 1
/24 (they had 5 /23's from me). After their initial renumber into the
/21, they had to return to get the additional /24. They reorganized some
networks to squeeze off the tenth /24.

On 4/25/2012 10:31 AM, Owen DeLong wrote:
> There is nothing whatsoever wrong with providing the information to
> ARIN under NDA. ARIN provides a very good (IMHO) plain English mutual
> NDA for just this purpose. What rational ethical ISP fails to include
> a provision for this process in their TOS?
Sure, and small ISP techs immediately think of NDAs when talking to
ARIN. ARIN didn't suggest it. In addition, the entire "provide all this
customer detail information" was overkill as well, given that the /21
was justified without the last little bit of justification requiring
customer names (or for that matter, the management equipment model/type
info).

>> I sometimes wonder what happens to that information; if it sits around in an archive somewhere in the vast digital repositories of ARIN awaiting someone to steal it.
> That's a very cynical view. I happen to know that ARIN takes the security of that data very seriously and I think they do a good job of protecting it. If you have any reason to believe otherwise, I invite you to offer some form of substantiation to support such a claim.

I would like to assume they do a good job protecting the data (although
I have no proof that this is true). However, leaving unnecessary data
laying around for no valid reason is careless. Historical information of
customer names/addresses is not necessary, even if said information is
provided to ARIN. A note on the account verifying that necessary
information was seen by the ARIN representative is enough. Requiring
this level of detail on the smallest fraction of the justified space
makes it even worse.

Of course, ARIN might delete the information. I've seen nothing in the
documentation to suggest if they do or not.

I never presume data is secure. The more unnecessary copies of it there
are, the more likely it will be obtained by an unauthorized individual.

Jack