Squeezing IPs out of ARIN

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Apr 25 16:55:55 UTC 2012

No, you didn't. You may have completed the acquisition of a large IPv6 block, but you did not purchase it.

Number resources are not property and cannot be bought and/or sold.

What you pay to ARIN pays for registration services (the registration of the numbers, not the numbers themselves). While I realize that in practice this may seem like a distinction without a difference, there are major legal and practical implications to this fact that are quite important to the very underpinnings of how the internet works.

Owen