Squeezing IPs out of ARIN

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Tue Apr 24 17:47:16 UTC 2012

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 10:32 AM,  <admin at thecpaneladmin.com> wrote:
> Anyone have any tips for getting IPs from ARIN? For an end-user allocation
> they are requesting that we provide customer names for existing allocations,
> which is information that will take a while to obtain. They are insisting
> that this is standard process and something that everyone does when
> requesting IPs.  Has anyone actually had to do this?

Indeed. It's worked this way for a long time.

When starting a new organization, there's a bit of a chicken and egg
problem with IP space. If anyone could get IP space just for asking
for it, it would have been consumed too quickly. So, organizations
must first get some space assigned to them from an upstream provider
and begin using it.
At some point the current usage and growth rate of the assigned space
will justify a direct allocation.

Then, you can renumber into your new space and be totally independent.

Cheers,
jof