Most energy efficient (home) setup

PC paul4004 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 19:59:52 UTC 2012

It exists.  Google for "unRAID"  It uses something like Raid4 for Parity
data, but stores entire files on single spindles.  It's designed for home
media server type environments.  This way, when you watch a video, only the
drive you are using needs to power up.  It also lets you add/remove
mismatched disks with no rebuild needed.

http://lime-technology.com/technology

* Better power management: not all hard drives are required to be spinning
in order to access data normally; hard drives not in use may be spun down.

However modern "green" drives don't take that much power.