Network Storage

Michael J McCafferty mike at m5computersecurity.com
Thu Apr 12 21:06:40 UTC 2012

Ali,
	Do you need to capture the whole packet, including the payload? You
will save a lot of space by just capturing the headers. For example,
tcpdump doesn't capture the whole packet by default anyway. You may not
be able to capture at line rate anyway depending on what you are using
to capture with (drivers, libraries, software, etc). See the -s option
in tcpdump man page for info.

Good luck,
Mike

On Thu, 2012-04-12 at 16:25 -0400, Maverick wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> Can you please comment on what is best solution for storing network
> traffic. We have been graciously granted access by our network
> administrator to capture traffic but the one Tera byte disk space is
> no match with the data that we are seeing, so it fills up quickly. We
> can't get additional space on the server itself so I am looking for
> some external solutions. Can you please suggest something that would
> be best for Gbps speeds .
>

> Best,
> Ali

Michael J. McCafferty
CEO
M5 Hosting
http://www.m5hosting.com

Like us on Facebook for updates and photos:
https://www.facebook.com/m5hosting