Cheap Juniper Gear for Lab

Carl Rosevear crosevear at skytap.com
Wed Apr 11 17:33:41 UTC 2012

Yeah, I have to apply the term "awful" and "annoying" to the packet
mode implementation on SRX/J-series. Anyway, I spent *hours* with JTAC
on the phone trying to get the thing to just pass packets.  Best part
was, I didn't know how to do it and nor did they!  I escalated, worked
with many engineers.  My key statement was "I just want my router to
route.  Make it do what it is supposed to do.  No session tracking!
This is not a firewall."  So, now it doesn't require valid sessions to
pass packets but it does still appear to *track* sessions in some
tables and I am, of course, very curious when some attack vector will
fill up some table.

Anyway, not the best devices for an edge router that is for sure.
Which is too bad...  for very small DC edge applications, the J6350
was a pretty cool router in earlier versions of JunOS that didn't
decide to re-engineer your network and transit for you.

Anyway I digress.  But this had, in the past, been a frustrating
enough issue for me that I had to share.

--Carl

--
Carl Rosevear
Manager of Operations