Cheap Juniper Gear for Lab

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Apr 11 01:23:55 UTC 2012

On Apr 10, 2012, at 4:05 PM, Jimmy Hess wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 9:24 AM, Tim Eberhard <xmin0s at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I find it humorous that you think J/SRX junos isn't real junos.
>>
> If it runs JunOS, then yeah, it's real JunOS.   It might not have the
> feature you're looking for, but that's something different.

No, it's not. Flow mode is NOT packet mode and it doesn't really ever run packet
mode in the current version. This has fundamental and significant impacts on the
way packets are handled when being forwarded through the box which come with
side-effects that cannot be overcome by mere configuration changes.

> The  Juniper ERX edge routers are what isn't  "real"  JunOS.
> It's as if they were trying to make a clone of the IOS CLI:

Those are not JunOS at all. They don't really try to pretend to be.

The SRX and J-Series Services routers, OTOH, are most definitely pretending to be
JunOS while not behaving like JunOS at certain fundamental levels.

Owen