Cheap Juniper Gear for Lab

Tim Eberhard xmin0s at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 14:24:35 UTC 2012

I find it humorous that you think J/SRX junos isn't real junos.

So what makes it not real junos? The fact it has a flowd process? Lets
technically talk about this for a moment.

Realistically one of the only differences between "flow based junos"
and the legacy "packet based junos" is the flowd process. Which can be
easily bypassed by issuing a couple of configuration commands. So what
exactly makes this platform/code so horrible and not "real" junos?

If anything to me it's a better platform to deploy and learn on. It's
more flexible as it comes with more advanced flow based features but
they are optional. There are certain limitations as mentioned
previously around the switching and class of service however these
same feature limitations were also in the "real" junos low end
devices.

If there are other differences that I am unaware of then by all means
feel free to educate me. I am well aware that branch devices don't
have the capabilities of the MX/M series in regards to ATM and other
such specific platforms, but you called this "not real junos". So lets
keep any responses limited to that aspect.

-Tim Eberhard