The day SORBS goes away ...

Matthew Palmer mpalmer at hezmatt.org
Sat Apr 7 21:19:03 UTC 2012

On Sat, Apr 07, 2012 at 08:33:10PM +0300, Hank Nussbacher wrote:
> On Sat, 7 Apr 2012, Rich Kulawiec wrote:
> Clearly, this is idiotic reasoning and only when others start
> blocking their IP ranges and DNS servers will they ever wake up.

But how idiotic is it?  Do you have all Yahoo IP space and domains blocked
on your mail server?  How many mailboxes does that cover?  What percentage
of Yahoo's daily e-mail volume are you blocking, and how much of a rat's
arse do you think Yahoo cares?

I think you can see where I'm going with this.  It's only "idiotic
reasoning" if it doesn't work, and so far as I can see, it's working just
great -- there are effectively service providers who are "too big to
fai^Wblock", and so they get away with things that everyone else would only
dream of.

They do care about the "almighty buck" more than the 'net, but I'd say that
almost all of us do, because almost none of us are willing to take the
plunge and block Yahoo and other giant providers of spam and other abuse.
(For the record, I'm in this camp, too -- I'm not willing to lose my job --
my almighty buck -- for taking the step of blocking Yahoo, so I'm not any
sort of trailblazer along this path).

To anyone out there who is blocking Yahoo, and is big enough for them to
take notice, bravo to you!  Speak up, tell the world what you're doing, and
it might give the rest of us the courage and the precedent to do the same.

- Matt

--
A friend is someone you can call to help you move. A best friend is someone
you can call to help you move a body.