The day SORBS goes away ...

Hank Nussbacher hank at efes.iucc.ac.il
Sat Apr 7 17:33:10 UTC 2012

On Sat, 7 Apr 2012, Rich Kulawiec wrote:

I recently had a similar run-in with another ISP unrelated to Yahoo.  It
involved a phishing site on one of their customers.  Countless emails to
their abuse@ email went unanswered.  Then one day I bumped into their VP
who was trying to sell me something.  I asked him about why they apppear
so high on Ironport Senderbase with a huge spam pool as well as phishing
sites that are not taken down.

His answer, which might mirror Yahoo's (or not), was that at a corporate
level they decided to only handle issues like this via a court order.
They did not think it appropriate to interfere with their customers data
in any sort of way unless a court order told them to make it stop.

Clearly, this is idiotic reasoning and only when others start blocking
their IP ranges and DNS servers will they ever wake up.  But when the ISP
is big enough, they think no one will block them and if they do it will
just be small cases and nothing massive that would make them into a 2nd
league ISP.  This therefore becomes a cost savings area since you no
longer need any abuse staff to handle your customers.  You just ignore it
all.

-Hank