SORBS?!

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Fri Apr 6 18:47:55 UTC 2012

On Fri, 6 Apr 2012, Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:

>> Ever wonder why it takes time for DNSbl's to process removals,
>> sometimes very long periods?  Well, someone's gotta pay for that time
>> the removal person does it (and I have yet to see a dime of
>> compensation for the time I spend).
>
> No, they don't.  Many DNSBLs use self-service tools.  Someone has to
> write the tool, but the rest is automated.  Total cost is power & space,
> which is frequently donated (I have personally donated some myself to
> DNSBLs I thought were well run).

This depends on the DNSBL, the type of listing, and that DNSBL's policies.
Some DNSBLs, some listings, automated removal is possible and appropriate.
Sometimes it's not, and a human is needed to make the decision as to
whether a delisting request should be granted or refused.

Even when there is a path for automated removals via a web form, not
everyone will find or use that path.

  Jon Lewis, MCP :)           |  I route
  Atlantic Net                |