SORBS?!

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Apr 6 16:56:08 UTC 2012

On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 7:31 AM, Drew Weaver <drew.weaver at thenap.com> wrote:
> That's just not true, we would much rather be notified of
>something that a reputation list finds objectionable and take
>it down ourselves than have Senderbase set a poor
>reputation on dozens of IaaS customers.

I think the idea is that you're supposed to proactively monitor your
systems for abuse and generally make your network inhospitable to
spammers, not just reactively move the customer to a new IP address
when the unpaid anti-spammers kindly let you know you've been
detected.

Personally I see SORBS as the canary in the coal mine. Except for the
DUHL (which identifies dynamic IPs, not spamming activity) nobody
serious relies on SORBS' data. So, it doesn't much hurt when they list
you. But, like the canary that dies first if the air turns bad, if
you're careful to watch SORBS you know when you're headed for problems
which will get you listed by a real RBL.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004