Cisco switch LACP + 802.1q

Randy Carpenter rcarpen at network1.net
Thu Sep 29 17:33:48 UTC 2011

I am tearing my hair out with an issue, and I hope someone can point something out to me that I am missing.

I am setting up 2-port LACP sets on a Cisco 2960G-24TS-L, which then need to be 802.1q trunk ports.

I have set it up as follows:

interface Port-channel1
  switchport mode trunk
!
interface Port-channel2
  switchport mode trunk
!
interface Port-channel3
  switchport mode trunk
!
interface Port-channel4
  switchport mode trunk
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/1
 channel-protocol lacp
 channel-group 1 mode active
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/2
 channel-protocol lacp
 channel-group 1 mode active
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/3
 channel-protocol lacp
 channel-group 2 mode active
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/4
 channel-protocol lacp
 channel-group 2 mode active
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/5
 channel-protocol lacp
 channel-group 3 mode active
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/6
 channel-protocol lacp
 channel-group 3 mode active
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/7
 switchport mode trunk
 channel-protocol lacp
 channel-group 4 mode active
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/8
 switchport mode trunk
 channel-protocol lacp
 channel-group 4 mode active

The problem is that after some period of time (sometimes minutes, sometimes hours), port-channel1 loses the "switchport mode trunk"

It just disappears from the config.  If I try to put it back, it adds "switchport mode trunk" to the member ports (Gi0/1, Gi0/2) as well, which does not work. I have to tear it all out and start again. It will then work for a while again.

port-channel2 and port-channel3 are not in use yet, but port-channel4 is, and works just fine.

It is running IOS 15.0(1)SE. It was running 12.2 before, and it was doing the same thing, so I upgraded it to the latest available.

What could be the issue?

thanks,
-Randy