facebook spying on us?

David Hill dhill at mindcry.org
Thu Sep 29 14:20:10 UTC 2011

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 06:43:49PM +0530, Glen Kent wrote:
:Hi,
:
:I see that i have multiple TCP sessions established with facebook.
:They come up even after i reboot my laptop and dont login to facebook!
:
:D:\Documents and Settings\gkent>netstat -a | more
:
:Active Connections
:
:  Proto  Local Address          Foreign Address        State
:  TCP    gkent:3974    www-10-02-snc5.facebook.com:http  ESTABLISHED
:  TCP    gkent:3977    www-11-05-prn1.facebook.com:http  ESTABLISHED
:  TCP    gkent:3665
:a184-84-111-139.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com:http  ESTABLISHED
:
:[clipped]
:
:Any idea why these connections are established (with facebook and
:akamaitechnologies) and how i can kill them? Since my laptop has
:several connections open with facebook, what kind of information is
:flowing there?
:
:I also wonder about the kind of servers facebook must be having to be
:able to manage millions of TCP connections that must be terminating
:there.
:
:Glen
:

For the more paranoid open source users, I have found using the xxxterm
web browser to help quite a bit.   You can read about it at
http://www.xxxterm.org